BIOFRAME, an architectural prosthetic, allows existing towers to be repurposed through a modular, hybrid mass-timber clip-on frame that improves the building’s sustainable performance and structural capacity. The frames add outdoor space that can modify and adapt to meet the sustainable and wellness needs of a modern urban community, in turn, increasing the overall quality of city life.
THE NEED FOR URBAN GREEN SPACE With 54% of the world’s population living in urban areas, and an estimated 3 million people migrating to cities per week1, the need for urban recreational space continues to grow exponentially. BIOFRAME provides opportunity for existing buildings to contribute vertical park space, to help meet growing demand.
INCREASING URBAN HEALTH & WELLNESS The World Health Organization estimates that 3.3% of global deaths are due to lack of green space in Urban areas2. The BIOFRAME system could make significant contributions to urban health, wellness and social sustainability:
• Access to green space on every floor will improve overall air quality, well-being and mental health;
• The new outdoor spaces support gathering and formal interaction, further improving wellness;
• Added agriculture could significantly increase supply of locally-sourced cost-effective produce, reducing ‘food desserts’;
WORKPLACE SUSTAINABILITY BIOFRAME could modernize aging office facilities to improve overall office productivity. Studies have shown that access to natural light and greenery can lower stress and improve workplace performance. BIOFRAME increases access to natural light, greenery and fresh air through added outdoor space on every floor. The flexible system provides opportunity for mixed-programming such as indoor/outdoor meeting and work spaces, gardens and urban forest, urban agriculture and outdoor recreation.
ECONOMIC SUSTAINABILITY The prosthetic mass-timber hybrid structure is light weight and prefabricated allowing for quick assembly. The clip-on system adds a new high performance building skin, resulting in better building efficiency and lower on-going operating costs. The BIOFRAME also permits vertical expansion of the existing tower with minimal interruption to on-going tower occupants and operations. The system preserves the existing structure in place, resulting in an economical seismic upgrade;
PRE-FABRICATED CONSTRUCTION BIOFRAME’s mass-timber structure is light weight and prefabricated allowing for quick assembly. BIOFRAME permits vertical expansion of the existing tower with minimal interruption to on-going tower occupants and operations;
SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION BIOFRAME promotes Adaptive Reuse – the system eliminates the need to demolish existing skyscrapers.
• BIOFRAME provides a new, high-performance building envelope to improve the energy efficiency of existing structures. Constructed in mass-timber, the system further contributes to environmental sustainability by carbon capture and sequestration;
• The modular system creates a frame from which to suspend urban agriculture and planting; increasing green space, collecting rain water, absorbing CO 2 and improving air quality in and around existing tall buildings;
• The system includes Seismic Upgrading increasing building longevity and safety;
• BIOFRAME supports an optional photovoltaic array that generates and stores solar power further reducing the carbon footprint of the existing building;
• BIOFRAME supports an optional photovoltaic array that generates and stores solar power further reducing the carbon footprint of the existing building; The storage devices double as planters and glow to indicate the level of charge for each storage station.